Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Things Are Starting To Come Together

I started a couple more seeds this week; basil, parsley, and other herbs, including lavender, which I've never tried before. I went to one of the big box stores and managed to find a small yellow tomatillo seed, which I'm hoping is the pineapple tomatillo I was planning on buying online. This one happened to be heirloom and half the price of the one online. I also found a black krim tomato seed, which I've seen online that many people recommend. I haven't tried planting heirloom yet, so this will be a first.

There was a great sale at my local store on started plants, and I got a couple strawberry plant seeds to start, as well as a couple bunches of onion plants. I had really good success starting them from seed, but the problem was someone thinking they were weeds and plucking them just as they were forming their globes. No, it wasn't me that plucked them!

I also started my squash seeds, and since I only have one pot of cantaloupe started, I really need to get going on the cantaloupe. The watermelon seeds did not germinate, with the exception of one seed, so I will have to re-try them again. I had a hard time starting them last year from seed, too, especially since when I direct-sowed them bugs got to them before they had a chance. I want to make sure the vines are at least 12" before they are planted, so starting them as early as possible is ideal.

Most of the herbs have bloomed already which is quite exciting, especially since I had a hard time last year starting them. The plastic cups really made a difference, as I can just stick them in a tray of water and let them do their thing - no worrying about falling over and breaking in newspaper pots. I am all for green gardening, but sometimes I would rather use the plastic cups than throw money away from worthless seeds and not being able to tell what's what. Much less frustrating.

It's been raining for most of the week, so I haven't been inclined to do anything outside, especially since it was 39 degrees this afternoon. It is supposed to clear up this weekend, so I will be able to get more of a jump on things. I still have a lot of setting up and a lot of twine to tie before the warm weather comes.

The flower pots were started today, and since it's been rainy I planted the seeds in dry soil and left them out to get water in the rain. This weekend I will finish hanging them and get started sowing the onions, carrots and lettuces. I skipped on doing peas this year, only because they are just so cheap at my local grocer and I would rather use the space for something more beneficial.

Anyway, that's all for today, I'll post again this weekend after I've gotten some work done.


No comments:

Post a Comment